1. Financial engineering has been disparaged as nothing more than paper shuffling. Critics argue that resources used for rearranging wealth ( that is, bundling and unbundling financial assets) might be better spent on creating wealth ( that is, creating real assets). Evaluate this criticism. Are any benefits realized by creating an array of derivative securities from various primary securities?
2. What are the differences between equity and fixed- income securities? ( LO 1- 5)
3. What is the difference between a primary asset and a derivative asset? ( LO 1- 1)
4. What is the difference between asset allocation and security selection? ( LO 1- 4)
5. What are the differences between real and financial assets? ( LO 1- 2)
6. How does investment banking differ from commercial banking? ( LO 1- 5)
7. For each transaction, identify the real and/ or financial assets that trade hands. Are any financial assets created or destroyed in the transaction? ( LO 1- 2)
a. Toyota takes out a bank loan to finance the construction of a new factory.
b. Toyota pays off its loan.
c. Toyota uses $ 10 million of cash on hand to purchase additional inventory of spare auto parts.
8. Suppose that in a wave of pessimism, housing prices fall by 10% across the entire economy. (LO 1-2)
a. Has the stock of real assets of the economy changed?
b. Are individuals less wealthy?
c. Can you reconcile your answers to ( a ) and ( b )?
9. The average rate of return on investments in large stocks has outpaced that on investments in
Treasury bills by about 7% since 1926. Why, then, does anyone invest in Treasury bills?
1. A municipal bond carries a coupon of 6 ¾ % and is trading at par. What is the equivalent taxable yield to a taxpayer in a combined federal plus state 34% tax bracket?
2. The coupon rate on a tax- exempt bond is 5.6%, and the rate on a taxable bond is 8%. Both bonds sell at par. At what tax bracket marginal tax rate) would an investor be indifferent between the two bonds?
3Why do most professionals consider the Wilshire 5000 a better index of the performance of the broad stock market than the Dow Jones Industrial Average? ( LO 2- 2)
4. What is meant by the LIBOR rate? The Federal funds rate? TED Spread? ( LO 2- 1)
5. Why are corporations more apt to hold preferred stock than are other potential investors? (LO 2-1)
6. A municipal bond carries a coupon rate of 6 ¾ % and is trading at par. What would be the equivalent taxable yield of this bond to a taxpayer in a 35% tax bracket? ( LO 2- 1) 7. Suppose that short- term municipal bonds currently offer yields of 4%, while comparable taxable bonds pay 5%. Which gives you the higher after- tax yield if your tax bracket is: ( LO 2- 1)
8. Consider the three stocks in the following table. Pt represents price at time t, and Q t represents shares outstanding at time t. Stock C splits two- for- one in the last period. ( LO 2- 2)
a. Calculate the rate of return on a price- weighted index of the three stocks for the first period ( t = 0 to t = 1).
b. What must happen to the divisor for the price- weighted index in year 2?
c. Calculate the rate of return of the price- weighted index for the second period ( t= 1 to t=2)
9. Using the data in the previous problem, calculate the first- period rates of return on the following indexes of the three stocks: ( LO 2- 2)
a. A market value– weighted index
b. An equally weighted index
10. Find the after-tax return to a corporation that buys a share of preferred stock at $40, sells it at year-end at $40, and receives a $4 year-end dividend. The firm is in the 30% tax bracket. (for the purpose of exercise, assume 70% exclusion in dividend for tax purpose)
11. Preferred stock yields often are lower than yields on bonds of the same quality because of: ( LO 2- 1)
d. Call protection
· What are overall investment process and some key elements involved in the investment process
· What are the differences in financial and real assets and the major components of the investment process
· Explain various financial instruments available to the potential investor
· How to perform after tax yields calculation
· What are the various market indexes and price weighted index divisor
Equity securities are a form of investment that gives you ownership in a company. They’re also known as stocks or shares, because they represent partial ownership in the stock of a business. When you invest in an equity security, you become part owner or beneficiary of the business and receive some income from its operations. You can buy equity securities directly from companies or through mutual funds, which are pools of funds that invest in many different companies at once (and usually charge fees).
Fixed-income securities pay interest on borrowed money instead of paying dividends to shareholders like dividends from stocks do; this means they pay out less money each year than similar bonds would if they paid only interest instead! A fixed-income security is sometimes referred to as “bonds” because they’re issued by governments and corporations as debt instruments but don’t pay any interest until maturity comes around again years down the line – although not all bonds have terms like this (some have shorter maturities). Most bonds syncronously mature into either principal (the face value) plus accrued interest owed back at that point), cash proceeds from liquidation sale proceeds when traded off against other kinds; such instruments are sometimes called “floating rate notes” since their value fluctuates according to market conditions rather than remaining constant throughout their term: Fixed Income Securities
Equity securities are shares in a company. The value of the security increases or decreases depending on the performance of the company and its earnings.
The value of equity securities is not guaranteed, so you can sell them at any time if you want to get out before they rise in value.
Fixed-income securities are debt instruments. They have a stated interest rate, and the investor receives that interest rate until the maturity date. Fixed-income securities can be issued in the form of bonds or notes.
Equity and fixed-income securities are two different types of securities.
Fixed-income securities include loans or bonds, which are investments that give the investor a return based on how much money they pay back to the borrower. They can also be called “bonds” or “bonds.” Fixed-income investments are usually riskier than equity investments because they’re less risky in terms of price changes over time, but they’re also more likely to have negative returns (i.e., losses) if interest rates rise significantly above expectations when you buy them.
Examples: Corporate bonds and municipal bonds
Equity and fixed-income securities are two different types of securities. Equity refers to stocks in a company, while fixed-income securities refer to bonds. A company can issue both types of securities and invest them in different ways depending on the needs of its investors.
WOULD YOU LIKE A CUSTOM ESSAY JUST FOR YOU? Get Assignment Help- Confidentially! Why Choose Ace Writing Center? ***Absolutely NO Plagiarism. ***All writing is original. ***Guaranteed Top Grade. ***24/7 Support ***100% Money Back Guarantee ***Free revision
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Ace Writing Center has stood as the world’s leading custom essay writing services providers. Once you enter all the details in the order form under the place order button, the rest is up to us.
At Ace Writing Center, Nowadays, students normally have extremely busy schedules. You will note that some of them have to take on some evening or weekend jobs in order to get some income that can help them to sustain in college or in the university. This can deny them a chance to write all the essays given. Others usually get bombarded with a lot of work by their lecturers. This can still delay such students from working on all their essays. However, some of them usually try to work on all these essays but end up delivering their work late. This can prevent them from graduating since most lecturers are strict on deadlines. If you want to write a business essay, the wise way is to hire an outstanding essay writing service like us, so that you can get the best results. If you are keen, you will note that many companies usually overcharge their customers. Some of them are there only to make money. And in reality, they really don’t care to build a long term commitment with students. You should not choose such companies. You should take your time and choose a reliable company to work with. Ace Writing Center is the ultimate solution for you. We have been offering our writing service for more than 7 years. This is a clear indication that you will get quality essay writing service. We have a wide range of writers who can work on any business essay that you might have. We believe in doing extensive research so that we can provide quality work to all our clients. .
Admission and Business Papers
Have you ever had to write an admission essay for college? The majority of students face the same issues when applying to a university or college and many in such situations decide they need professional help to cope with this matter. They get in a situation when the deadline keeps coming closer but lack motivation to start because they are just not sure if their writing skills are strong enough. We have a solution for you! Ace Writing Center is the best admission essay writing service with a large professional team and years of experience in providing high-quality papers to students of all levels and faculties. The mission of our team is to help students make their dreams of entering a good college come true and that’s what we offer!.
Editing and Proofreading
Sometimes all the words for your paper just flow out of your mind and into your fingers. You type quickly at your keyboard and there they are, your beautiful words right there on the screen. But you have no idea how to polish it up. You may be wishing there was a paper writing service that offered this type of writing service. Look no more! Here at Ace Writing Center, we offer you an editing and proofreading option that you can't find anywhere else..
College Essay Writing
In case you are familiar Ace Writing Center, you know the way to distinguish a better company from a cheap one exactly. First of all, poor service website does not have a sufficient support. We think support team is an essential part of success; it has to answer all clients’ questions and be a connecting link between clients and their writers. On our web-service you will get answers about anything you need and your writer will receive all your instructions, assignments and requirements exactly and swiftly. A writing service that we run has got a flexible pricing system that will save you from senseless wastes and many bonus systems that let you sparing money for something important for you.