Week 5 Source Evaluation Worksheet
1. Using APA format, identify the source and write a concise annotation that summarizes the central theme and scope of the book or article. A sample annotation can be found in the directions for this assignment.
2. Use the following criteria to evaluate each source:
a. How current is this the source you are using? (If not current – explain why information is still applicable)
b. How authoritative, credible, reliable? (For example: recognized expert; peer-reviewed journal; trusted site such as .edu, .gov, .mil; experienced and knowledgeable in the field; information consistent across several sources, etc.)
c. Briefly state specifically how this source provides evidence that strongly supports your conclusion. For example, “the article discusses significant evidence that this diet provides all essential nutrients and supports my view that the diet is healthy” “this study shows that this diet is deficient in vitamin D and supports my point that this diet is not healthy” “this survey revealed that obesity is on a rapid rise among all demographic groups and supports my view that obesity is epidemic”
d. If the information is “popular” or if it is from a blog, from a marketing site, or is persuasive in nature (i.e., an editorial or opinion piece, or a publication of a special interest group such as a trade organization, union, etc.) explain why you are using the source and why you cannot use a more substantive or scholarly source.
Evaluating Sources – Notes
1. Rate your journal and periodical sources (whether you are looking at hard copy or on-line) as scholarly, substantive or popular. The Table “Distinguishing between Scholarly and Non-scholarly Periodicals” will work for evaluating either print or on-line journals, newspapers, and periodicals.
2. Beware of bias in any specific article. Determine if the source is authoritative, credible, reliable, current and unbiased. (If not current, then information can be rated “valid, regardless of age,” — i.e., a 1999 web-based article on the American Civil War is not “current”, but can be “valid regardless of age.”) All sources should be authoritative, credible, reliable, current and unbiased. If bias is found, state if bias may or may not affect the credibility and reliability of the information you will use and how you will compensate for possible bias.
3. For websites, generally speaking, .gov and .mil sites are acceptable sources in academic papers. Most .edu websites will be acceptable, but analyze under the criteria in 2 above.
4. If the website is a .com, .org or .biz website, you must further evaluate for authority, reliability and credibility. Never use a .com, .org or .biz site without evaluating across these criteria. Be especially careful about blogs – generally speaking, don’t use them. Many newspaper and magazines also publish to websites; evaluate those just as you would a journal or periodical.
· Who are the author(s)?
· Are they recognized experts in their field? – check the <About> column or google the author’s name?
· What is the level of education of the author? Experience? Knowledge of the subject?
· Is the information at a level appropriate to an upper-level academic paper?
· How does the information compare to other, similar information? Always look for more than one source – verify that all points of view are represented
· Is it timely?
· Does it come from a trusted source?
Distinguishing Between Scholarly and Non-Scholarly Publications
|American Journal of NursingJAMANew England Journal of MedicineAmerican Journal of Kidney Diseases
|National GeographicPsychology TodayNY TimesThe Atlantic
|TimeVanity FairHuffington PostUSA Today
|Purpose & Use
|· Knowledge dissemination· Reports of original research· in-depth topic analysis· Statistical information
|· For profit· Current events and news· Introduces a subject· Interviews· Analysis and opinion
|· For profit· Current events and news· Overview of topic· Entertainment· Sell products
|· Reader knows the field (e.g., specialists)
|· General audience
|· General audience
|· Researchers· Academics· Scholars
|· Journalists· Freelance writers· Specialists or scholars
|· Freelance writers· Staff writers· Journalists
|Content & Language
|· Description of research methods with conclusions· Objective· Assumes knowledge of language and specialist jargon· Article may have a specific structure· Usually peer-reviewed
|· Explanation of a subject· Interpretation of a research article· May or may not be objective· Use of non-technical vocabulary· Shorter articles than in scholarly publications
|· May be biased toward a particular point of view· Less depth· Everyday language· Often written like a story
|· Professional organizations· University or scholarly presses· Research institutions
|· Commercial entities· Trade and professional organizations
|· Commercial entities· Trade organizations
|· Includes bibliography and/or notes· Includes extensive citation of sources· Includes author credentials
|· Sometimes includes sources· May / may not include author credentials
|· Rarely includes citations of sources· Rarely includes author credentials
|· Includes graphs, charts, and tables· Advertising is very rare
|· Illustrated, often with photographs· Advertising is present
|· Heavily illustrated· Lots of advertising
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Ace Writing Center has stood as the world’s leading custom essay writing services providers. Once you enter all the details in the order form under the place order button, the rest is up to us.
At Ace Writing Center, Nowadays, students normally have extremely busy schedules. You will note that some of them have to take on some evening or weekend jobs in order to get some income that can help them to sustain in college or in the university. This can deny them a chance to write all the essays given. Others usually get bombarded with a lot of work by their lecturers. This can still delay such students from working on all their essays. However, some of them usually try to work on all these essays but end up delivering their work late. This can prevent them from graduating since most lecturers are strict on deadlines. If you want to write a business essay, the wise way is to hire an outstanding essay writing service like us, so that you can get the best results. If you are keen, you will note that many companies usually overcharge their customers. Some of them are there only to make money. And in reality, they really don’t care to build a long term commitment with students. You should not choose such companies. You should take your time and choose a reliable company to work with. Ace Writing Center is the ultimate solution for you. We have been offering our writing service for more than 7 years. This is a clear indication that you will get quality essay writing service. We have a wide range of writers who can work on any business essay that you might have. We believe in doing extensive research so that we can provide quality work to all our clients. .
Admission and Business Papers
Have you ever had to write an admission essay for college? The majority of students face the same issues when applying to a university or college and many in such situations decide they need professional help to cope with this matter. They get in a situation when the deadline keeps coming closer but lack motivation to start because they are just not sure if their writing skills are strong enough. We have a solution for you! Ace Writing Center is the best admission essay writing service with a large professional team and years of experience in providing high-quality papers to students of all levels and faculties. The mission of our team is to help students make their dreams of entering a good college come true and that’s what we offer!.
Editing and Proofreading
Sometimes all the words for your paper just flow out of your mind and into your fingers. You type quickly at your keyboard and there they are, your beautiful words right there on the screen. But you have no idea how to polish it up. You may be wishing there was a paper writing service that offered this type of writing service. Look no more! Here at Ace Writing Center, we offer you an editing and proofreading option that you can't find anywhere else..
College Essay Writing
In case you are familiar Ace Writing Center, you know the way to distinguish a better company from a cheap one exactly. First of all, poor service website does not have a sufficient support. We think support team is an essential part of success; it has to answer all clients’ questions and be a connecting link between clients and their writers. On our web-service you will get answers about anything you need and your writer will receive all your instructions, assignments and requirements exactly and swiftly. A writing service that we run has got a flexible pricing system that will save you from senseless wastes and many bonus systems that let you sparing money for something important for you.